Wednesday, October 26, 2011

WILL we ever get it? (Part 2)

(CAPS, color, bold, etc. are my emphasis throughout)

Then let us in his footsteps tread, …[1]
After this manner therefore pray ye: Our Father which art in heaven, Hallowed be thy name. Thy kingdom come. Thy WILL be done in earth, as it is in heaven. … (New Testament Matthew 6:9-10)

And he [Jesus] answered them, saying, Who is my mother, or my brethren? And he looked round about on them which sat about him, and said, Behold my mother and my brethren! For whosoever shall do the WILL of God, the same is my brother, and my sister, and mother. (New Testament Mark 3:33-35)

Let no man be afraid to lay down his life for my sake; for whoso layeth down his life for my sake shall find it again. And whoso is not WILLING to lay down his life for my sake is not my disciple. (Doctrine and Covenants Section 103:27-28)

If ye abide in me, and my words abide in you, ye shall ask what ye WILL, and it shall be done unto you. Herein is my Father glorified, that ye bear[3] much fruit; so shall ye be my disciples. (New Testament John 15:7-8; notice the pre-conditions and the many other scriptural clarifications. )

Behold this is my WILL; ask and ye shall receive [my WILL?]; but men do not always do my WILL. (Doctrine and Covenants Section 103:31)

For ye have need of patience, that, after ye have done the WILL of God, ye might receive the promise. (New Testament Hebrews 10:36)

And if ye are purified and cleansed from all sin, ye shall ask whatsoever you WILL in the name of Jesus and it shall be done. But know this, it shall be given you what you shall ask; (Doctrine and Covenants Section 50:29-30)

Blessed art thou, Nephi, … [thou] hast not sought thine own life, but hast sought my WILL, and to keep my commandments. And now, because thou hast done this with such unwearyingness, behold, I will bless thee forever; and I will make thee mighty in word and in deed, in faith and in works; yea, even that all things shall be done unto thee according to thy word, for thou shalt not ask that which is contrary to my WILL. (Book of Mormon Helaman 10:4-5)

And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, WILL of God. (New Testament Romans 12:2)

And if ye seek the riches which it is the WILL of the Father to give unto you, ye shall be the richest of all people, FOR ye shall have the riches of eternity; and it must needs be that the riches of the earth are mine to give; but beware of pride, lest ye become as the Nephites of old. (Doctrine and Covenants Section 38:39)

Yea, I know that God WILL give liberally to him that asketh. Yea, my God WILL give me, if I ask not amiss; … (Book of Mormon 2 Nephi 4:35)

For by my Spirit will I enlighten them, and by my power will I make known unto them the secrets of my WILL—yea, even those things which eye has not seen, nor ear heard, nor yet entered into the heart of man. (Doctrine and Covenants Section 76:10)

“…, the submission of one’s WILL is really the only uniquely personal thing we have to place on God’s altar. The many other things we “give,” brothers and sisters, are actually the things He has already given or loaned to us. However, when you and I finally submit ourselves, by letting our individual WILLS be swallowed up in God’s WILL, then we are really giving something to Him! It is the only possession which is truly ours to give!” (Neal A. Maxwell, “Swallowed Up in the Will of the Father,” Ensign, Nov. 1995, 24)

And the world passeth away, and the lust thereof: but he that doeth the WILL of God abideth for ever. (New Testament 1 John 2:17)
--------------------------/
[1] From the LDS Hymn book (1985), # 116 Come Follow Me (Text: John Nicholson, 1839-1909; Music: Samuel McBurney, b. 1847

[3] Notice it says, “bear much fruit”; not “be given much fruit.”